CICI News
  • Notice
  • What’s New

View old bulletin board

Title Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on ‘Present and Future of Korean Wave’
Posted by webmaster Hit 5599 Date 2015.04.09
Dear Korea CQ members,

I hope you are having a great day.

On April 7, Korea CQ had the lecture on ‘Present and Future of Korean wave’ by Mr. Song Seung-whan at resident of Turkish ambassador.

Members participated are: H.E. Arslan Hakan Okcal, Pinar Okcal, H.E. Elisabeth Bertagnoli, H.E. Omar Nahar, Seung-whan Song, Susie Lee, Micky Kim, Junghwa Choi, Do-won Seol, Bill Miner, Lissa Miner, Chung Hyon Hwang, Seung-Jae Yoo, Hyung Taek Hong, Hooran Kim, Jae Woo James Park, Didier Beltoise, Sung Baek Lee, Vivian Yoon Joo Han, Esther Na, Jae Chul Sung, Kay Kang, Crystal Park, Joel Lee, and Jae-heun Kim attended.

CQ members arrived at residence of Turkish ambassador, located at Seongbuk-dong, on time and had time to catch up at reception.

H.E. Arslan Hakan Okcal gave a congratulatory message and officially welcomed CQ members. After, members had time to enjoy a video about describing charms of Turkey.

Before the lecture, we enjoyed the delicious and unforgettable dinner specially prepared by Spouse of Turkish Ambassador, Pinar Okcal.

After ending the dinner by delicious dessert, lecture of Mr. Seung-whan Song, president of PMC Production and expert on Korean cultural industry, was started. The lecture was about his experience and opinion of how he made ‘NANTA’, the performance that represents Korea, what is the key of performing ‘NANTA’ for consecutively 18 years, and is Korean wave about K-pop and K-drama is just a coincidence or output of desperate effort.

It was interesting lecture to learn the background of NANTA’s creation and process of success by using episodes happening in kitchen.  

We thanks to H.E. Arslan Hakan Okcal and Mrs. Pinar Okcal for his warm hospitality from giving us an opportunity to have an unforgettable night at his venue to offer us to taste the wonderful Turkish gastronomy and we also thank all members who were able to take their precious time to attend the Korea CQ lecture.

Also we specially thank Seung-whan Song for his informative lecture, Esther Na for sponsoring books about Turkey, and Crystal Park for her outstanding interpretation help.

Lecture note of president Seung-whan Song is attached below. Please kindly look at it.

Thank you again for your unwavering support and have a nice day.

Korea CQ Soo Yeon Kim

For more pictures, please click the link below:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112210481839541612830/albums/6135167052416600913?authkey=CPjw8Ne34IL3Ug

<Lecture note of President Song Seung-whan>

Lecturer: Song Seung-whan, President of PMC Production

NANTA’s planning background

I felt ‘actor’ was a passive career. And to be more active, I start to be interested in producing musical.

About the overseas performance like Broadway musical, I don’t think it suits to Korean culture. This is where I started to think of making performance which suits us, the Koreans.

Korea’s domestic market was so small to make the profit. Due to this bad circumstances, it was necessary for us to enter the overseas market.

To enter the international performance industry, we needed to overcome language barrier. In order to overcome, I chose ‘Global Universality’ and ‘Korea’s traditional emotion.’

I chose Global universality because I believe when everyone sympathize with the same part of performance, that is when we achieve cultural communication.

Also to overcome the limitation of capital, I chose Korea’s unique and oriental subject.

When I thought about ‘what is the content that represents Korea?’ I suddenly thought of ‘samul-nori’.

Also kitchen is where we can experience the beating, the key of samul-nori, most often, I chose the kitchen as our set and the cooks are our main character.

Enter World Market

1. Finding worldwide agent!

I introduced NANTA to promoters, who buy and sell performances to Tokyo, LA, Paris, New York, and London.

Finally, I met’ Broadway Asia’ which is a world renowned performance agency.

2. Participating Worldwide Festival

I participated in Edinburgh International Festival, which is world famous performing festival and performance market. With an active promotion, all tickets were sold out for every NANTA

performance in Edinburgh International Festival.

Also, Nanta was nominated as best 10 performance in Edinburgh international festival by the magazine ‘The List’.

After the Edinburgh festival, we made a contract with American Garden Theater in Disney World and ‘Promax’ in Japan to perform Tokyo and Osaka.

And now NANTA is performing in 51 countries and 289 cities.

Developing fixed-income and carve out a niche market

To target foreign visitors, I opened Nanta Theater in Myeong-dong, Hongdae, Chungjung-ro, Jeju and Bangkok. I chose Bangkok because it is the place where diverse foreign visitors love most among Asian cities.

In the past, majority of foreign tourists of Korea were Japanese, and they needed performance that every family member can enjoy in evening time.

I visited many agencies and persuaded them, and as a result NANTA became the regular program for many agencies.

Korea’s National brand Image

In 90’s, the reputation for ‘Made in Korea’ was negative. People thought ‘Made in Korea’ were low quality and cheap price product.

However, these days the brand image of Korea got much better due to the influence of  K-pop, K-drama, and K-beauty. 

My goal is to promote Korea to the world through performance.

<Q&A>

Q. Micky Kim, Director of Google: Do you think of having business to create Hallyu star?

A. Song Seung-whan, President of PMC production: I’m not thinking to have business about discovering new Hallyu star. The key of NANTA’s success is we don’t have a star actor and actress. There is only one Girl’s Generation, but NANTA has 10 teams worldwide. This is the key advantage of NANTA.

Q. Bill Miner, Chairman of Chevron: There were some time you want to give up NANTA, what was the reason that you could carry on?

A. Song Seung-whan, President of PMC production: I have positive personality. My dream was to enter the Broadway so I could bear all the difficulties until my dreams come true.

Q. Park Jae Woo James, Director of Dr. Park’s Plastic Surgery: Now in days China and Japan is copying some of our famous Entertainment Programs. Specially, China is growing so fast. Do you think that someday China will catch up Korea culturally? 

A. Song Seung-whan, President of PMC production: We will open new NANTA Theater in Guangzhou in July. I believe Guangzhou is one of the biggest markets in China. In the past, Korea also copied contents of US, and I think we could  have developed because of that. Also, because China’s domestic market is so big by themselves, they are not interested to enter the world market. In contrast, Korea is still trying hard to enter new markets worldwide.

Q. Kim Jae heun, Journalist: I want to ask 2 questions. First, in your opinion what will be the next content for Hallyu? Second, every country has different culture and audience and how could you handle all that?

A. Song Seung-whan, President of PMC production: People can enjoy drama and music in cheap price. For some period, I think K-pop will keep its popularity for long time. Also, I guess K-food has a lot of potential to develop.

For the second question, I could handle different audiences of different countries because of the ‘Global universality.’

Q. Kay Kang, Director of Congdu: Are you preparing similar performance as NANTA?

A. Song Seung-whan, President of PMC production: People are questioned me all the time on ‘What is the next performance?’ I have produced many other performances so far and I am also preparing new performances.

No. Title Posted by Date Hit
자유게시판 입니다. webmaster 2013.01.03 15537
139 Korea CQ - Epilogue of the visit to 'Barakat Seoul' file webmaster 2017.03.08 6764
138 Korea CQ News - 2017 February file webmaster 2017.03.02 2419
137 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on 'My Future, Orchids' Future' file webmaster 2017.02.23 12824
136 Korea CQ - Epilogue of 'The Banquet' Performance file webmaster 2017.02.10 5796
135 Korea CQ News - 2017 January file webmaster 2017.01.31 2722
134 CICI Korea 2017 file webmaster 2017.01.18 5985
133 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Winter Welcoming Alumni Gathering & Korea CQ 22 Graduation file webmaster 2016.12.07 3686
132 Korea CQ News - 2016 November file webmaster 2016.11.30 2730
131 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on 'Antonio Corea - the First Korean in Europe' file webmaster 2016.11.24 30802
130 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on 'Globalization of Traditional Hanji' file webmaster 2016.11.10 3865
129 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Visiting House of Dior file webmaster 2016.11.02 5007
128 Korea CQ News - 2016 October file webmaster 2016.10.31 3058
127 Epilogue of Visiting SongAm Space Center file webmaster 2016.10.19 3187
126 Korea CQ – Epilogue of lecture on ‘Cultural Management – the Globalization of Tradition’ by Ahn Hosang file webmaster 2016.10.13 4822
125 Korea CQ - Epilogue of October's Wine Club file webmaster 2016.10.12 4844
124 Korea CQ News - 2016 September file webmaster 2016.09.30 2785
123 CCF 2016 Epilogue file webmaster 2016.09.29 6483
122 Korea CQ – Epilogue of lecture on ‘How to Communicate Globally’ by Theresa Rah file webmaster 2016.09.29 3621
121 CCF Night 2016 Mini Interview webmaster 2016.09.28 2717
120 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Autumn Welcoming Alumni Gathering & CQ 22 Opening webmaster 2016.08.24 2815

HOME SITEMAP CONTACT US KOREAN goMain instagram facebook youtube