main

Home > CICI News > What’s New

CICI News
  • Notice
  • What’s New

View old bulletin board

Title Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on ‘Brings the luck! Jogakbo, Korean patchwork'‏
Posted by webmaster Hit 17104 Date 2015.05.15
Files
Dear Korea CQ members,

I hope you are having a great day.
On May 12, Korea CQ had the lecture on ‘Brings the luck! Jogakbo, Korean patchwork' by Dukjoo Choi at the Resident of Austrian ambassador, located at Seongbuk-dong.

Members participated are H.E. Elisabeth Bertagnoli, H.E. Arslan Hakan Okcal, Pinar Okcal, H.E. Aingeal O’Donoghue, Peter Bullen, Dukjoo Choi, Yoonshin Yi, Tainam Jung, Junghwa Choi, Hyun Ju Lee, Lissa Miner, Chung Hyon Hwang, Seung-Jae Yoo, Didier Beltoise, Young Ju Cho, Sung Baek Lee, Vivian Yoon Joo Han, Patrick Defranoux, Young Joo Lee, Myeong-hee Oh, Susan Macdonald, Younhee Kim, Sobang Yoo, Alexandra M. Hager, Heonjun Kwon, Mani Won, Crystal Park, and Hyo Jin Kim.

Austrian Ambassador, H.E. Elisabeth Bertagnoli kindly invited our members to her residence.

CQ members arrived at the residence on time and share the stories of each other during the reception.

조각보1.JPG

The forum started with a welcoming speech of H.E. Elisabeth Bertagnoli. Ambassador said there is a special bond between Mrs. Dukjoo Choi and Austria that Dukjoo Choi had her second solo exhibition at Vienna, Austria on 2013 which made this forum more special.

After members had time to watch a video describing charms of Austria, we started enjoying the delicious Austrian dinner and wine with the music of Schubert at the outdoor garden.

조각보2.JPG

After appreciating delicious dessert -- Mirabell Mozart Chocolate, Austria’s the most famous chocolate, members had a lecture by Mrs. Dukjoo Choi, handcraft designer was started. She has been interested in pojagi, quilt of Korea because she has been seeing her grandmother sewing small pieces of cloth since she was little. And she studied traditional embroidery and pojagi art under Kim Hyunhee, the artisan of Korean pojagi.  

Korea CQ members enjoyed the Korean traditional jogakbo patchwork and learned the interesting story about quilt of Korea by Designer Dukjoo Choi.

조각보3.JPG

She emphasized the color combination to make a beautiful patchwork, and every member was amused by the artistic jogakbo, dyed with different ingredients from plants like mugwort or chestnut. Through her artistic jogakbo, we can feel her enthusiasm toward her artworks.

It was interesting lecture to learn about the Korean patchwork, jogakbo which is not only an item to wrap objects but also is used as interior decoration props, a work of art, a kind of crafts, and as an image representing Korea.

조각보5.JPG

We thanks to H.E. Elisabeth Bertagnoli for her warm hospitality from giving us an opportunity to have an unforgettable night at her residence to offering us the wonderful Austrian food. Also we thank all members who were able to take their precious time to attend the Korea CQ lecture.

Special thanks to Dukjoo Choi for her informative lecture and work books about jogakbo, and Crystal Park for her outstanding interpretation help.

Coming on June 9, Korea CQ will be having the Summer Welcoming Alumni Gathering and Indonesian Ambassador to Korea H.E. John Prasetio and Mrs. Alexandra Praseito generously invite Korea CQ members to their residence.

We are looking forward to our members' active participation.
Lecture note of craft designer Dukjoo Choi is attached below. Please kindly look at it.

Thank you again for your support and have a nice day.

Korea CQ Nayun Shin

조각보4.jpg

For more pictures, please click the link below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112210481839541612830/albums/6148167204525132577?authkey=CPP1ufm-_vCS8AE

<Lecture note of Craft Designer Choi Dukjoo>

'Bring the Luck! Jogakbo, Korean Patchwork'

Lecturer: Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer

Reason to making Jokakbo

My grandmother liked to sew and embroider when I was young, so I had a great interest in wrapping cloth naturally.

For example, my mother or grandmother made clothes or bed sheets, I used to play around with the leftover clothes.

Why wrapping cloth use in Korea?

In the past, following the Korean residential culture, people used to live in small rooms. So they piled up products, covered them with wrapping cloth, and put them into one space.
Wrapping cloth is easy to keep, so it is essential in the residential culture.

Type of Wrapping Cloth

1. Kungbo, Korean Cout Wrapping Cloth

It usually covers King and Queens’ comforter, cloth, and jewelry.
It can be more splendid with embroidery, it is made of natural materials such as silk, hemp, or ramie fabric.

2. Minbo, Korean Traditional Folk Wrapping Cloth

It is used for a variety of reasons.
People make Jokakbo made from remnants of blankets or cloth, it is made of simple natural materials such as cotton or ramie fabric.

3. Yedanbo, Korean Wedding Gift Wrapping Cloth

Bride’s family sends wedding gifts covered with wrapping cloth to the bridegroom’s family, wishing good health and longevity.
People like to use red and blue wrapping cloth.

4. Goosebo

On the wedding day, a groom send a wooden goose with wrapping cloth to bride’s mother and put it on the table. At that time, a goose’s neck and tail should come out, and it presents living goose.

Type of Jogakbo

1. Single Layer: it has the same shape and size back and forth.

2. Double Layer: patch cloth over and over
and make double layers.

Attraction of Jokakbo

1. It reshape whatever you put it in the Jokakbo.

2. You can use Jogakbo as table runner, hanger, or anywhere you’d like to use.

3. If you connect a piece of cloth, you can make a wonderful big work.

4. Crafters whole heart and should is in the Jogakbo.

5. You can have a creative result unexpectedly.

Choi’s Prime Consideration making Jokakbo

The harmony of color is very important.

Mrs. Choi prefers the natural dye system rather than the artificial dye system, because she wants to make her works be differentiated from others.

She seeks for the best materials to make beautiful colors, and natural materials are in-season tree, flowers, trunks, or leafs.

You can make variety of color by using materials naturally, fermenting, or using mordant ingredients. (For example, mugwort- green, onion- orange, ink stick- black)

In Korea, we have traditional five colors called ‘Obangsaek’. It contains red, yellow, blue, black, and white.

It shows prosperous and richness; additionally it reflects toughness of mountain and ocean.

Unlike artificial dyeing process, natural dye process is more suitable for mingling color and not making color too harsh.

Beginners could easily make a simple pocket, people could give money to children with fortune in the pocket.

Even making a pincushion, Choi Dukjoo mixes colors, considering brightness and saturation of color. She doesn’t dye threat but she use silk threat so that you can sew up regularly and control the size of stich.

<Q&A>

Q. Choi Jungwha, President of CICI: when did you start to make Jogakbo? Why you dye by your hands although your hands get dyed.

A. Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer: I have started to make Jogakbo since 1998. I work using my hands only because I can feel the best color and match proper concentration and temperature.

Q. Didier Beltoise, President of Cs: How long does it take to make a Jokakbo? and do you have any plan to train young generation?

A. Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer:  it varies by what you make. Big works usually take 6 months to complete. After I started to make Jogakbo, I became calm. I try to make my work during my spare time even though I only have 5 minutes to do. I enjoy my work and do not think it is hard, because all works are for my own happiness. I don’t have any plan to train other people so far, however, I sometime teach people when they visit me to learn.

Q. Kim Hyojin, journalist of The Korea Times You have a lot of works with various colors, do you think the result first and make the Jogakbo next?

A. Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer:  Whenever good idea comes to my mind, I always sketch. After I draw sketch, I mix colors with proper brightness and saturation

Q. H.E. Aingeal O’Donoghue, Irish Ambassador:  where I could buy the Jogakbo?
A. Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer:  You can see many Jogakbo in Insa-dong, but they sell the product made by machine. Since handmade Jogakbo has designer’s whole heart, you hardly find designer’s devotion in Jogakbo made by machine.

Q. Vivian Han, President of Congdu: I would like to suggest one thing, people want to learn Jogakbo, but they don’t have enough time. Why don’t you teach people small work so people can learn and access Jogakbo easily?

A: Recently, many people have learned making Jogakbo, and culture center open Jogakbo classes. I agree that new learner could make a small pocket.

Q. Lee Hyunju, President of Designon: What is difference between quilt and Jogakbo? What kind of threat you use?

A. Choi Dukjoo, Craft Designer:  I haven’t done quilt until now, but people who are good at quilting learn Jogakbo easily as well. I use silk thread.

No. Title Posted by Date Hit
자유게시판 입니다. webmaster 2013.01.03 15641
179 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on 'E-Commerce Market and Coupang' file webmaster 2018.09.13 4732
178 Epilogue of CCF 2018 file webmaster 2018.09.07 4392
177 Korea CQ News - 2018 July file webmaster 2018.08.02 2034
176 2017 YoungSan Diplomat of the Year Award webmaster 2018.07.06 2130
175 Korea CQ News - 2018 June file webmaster 2018.07.02 3571
174 Epilogue of Summer Welcoming Alumni Gathering file webmaster 2018.06.26 2376
173 Korea CQ News - 2018 May file webmaster 2018.05.31 2084
172 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Visiting 'Nine House' in Gapyeong file webmaster 2018.05.15 2751
171 Korea CQ News - 2018 April file webmaster 2018.04.30 1934
170 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Lecture on 'Global Attention on the Korean Peninsula: Where will Korea go from here?' file webmaster 2018.04.19 3967
169 Korea CQ News - 2018 March file webmaster 2018.03.30 2196
168 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Visiting 'Hyundai Card Cooking Library' file webmaster 2018.03.14 3342
167 Korea CQ News - 2018 February file webmaster 2018.02.28 1890
166 Korea CQ - Epilogue of KEB Hana Bank 'Place 1' Tour & Lecture on '2018 Economic View' webmaster 2018.02.09 3733
165 CICI Korea 2018 Highlights file webmaster 2018.02.06 3324
164 Korea CQ News - 2018 January file webmaster 2018.01.31 9797
163 CICI Korea 2018 file webmaster 2018.01.25 4815
162 Korea CQ News - 2017 December file webmaster 2017.12.29 1780
161 Korea CQ - Epilogue of Winter Welcoming Alumni Gathering file webmaster 2017.12.08 2213
160 Korea CQ News - 2017 November file webmaster 2017.11.30 2069

HOME SITEMAP CONTACT US KOREAN goMain instagram facebook youtube